Sunday, April 10, 2011

Day 6 - I made it!!

Dear Sugar,

I made it through the weekend!!! Woot! Woot! I must admit, however, that the no bake clean eating cookies saved it! I still can't get over how yummy and good for you they are! I also experimented a bit with a couple of other recipes. My favorite pancake recipe I adapted to the clean eating way and tried to lower fat and cholesterol. They turned out very dense, so I will have to adjust and add more milk. Here is what I did:

OLD==NEW
1 1/4 cup flour ==  1 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tblsp sugar == 1 tsp agave
1 tblsp baking power == 1 tblsp baking powder
1 tsp salt == 1 tsp salt
1 egg == 2 egg whites
2 tblsp oil = 1 tblsp oil
1 cup milk == 1 cup milk

Wasn't bad but definitely dense. I will say that I wasn't hungry for a long while after I ate breakfast! Syrup is on my list of foods to avoid for IC unless it is pure maple syrup which I find too sweet. For the past several months, I have been using a clean eating pancake topping. I boil frozen blueberries with a tablespoon or two of butter and take a fork and smash the blueberries while they are boiling.... YUMMMY!

I also made a pasta salad using whole wheat pasta, sauteed onions, peppers, and garlic with parmesan shredded cheese. It was good, as well, but a tad dry. I either had too much pasta or not enough juice from the stir-fried vegeys. Still, it was good and I will make it again only with fresh vegeys (I used a frozen stir fry bag).

I do know that planning meals and having something to cook that is fast and easy will help make this lifestyle change a lot easier. Friday night neither Korey or I felt like cooking. We ended up getting a pasta meal from HyVee made with regular pasta noodles which I know elevates blood sugars. My goal someday is to make meals and freeze them for nights that we don't have time or feel like cooking.

SUPER GOOD NEWS: I already feel like I have more energy!! I love you, Sugar, but you know what?? I'm doing okay without you!

~L

No comments:

Post a Comment